White Says McGregor’s Return Still Not Official

January 22, 2024
1 month
White Says McGregor's Return Still Not Official

Dana White has dismissed suggestions that Conor McGregor will fight on June 29, 2024.

The news comes after McGregor announced he would face Michael Chandler on that date. It finally ended doubts over McGregor’s return since he had been out of action since his loss to Dustin Poirier at UFC 264. He had been on course to return in 2023, but failing to enroll in USADA testing prevented that. Fighters were required to submit two negative samples across a period of six months before they could compete. McGregor would then enroll as the announcement of his return came.

McGregor’s Return

“Ladies and gentlemen, a Happy New Year to you all. I’d like to announce the return date for myself, the Notorious Conor McGregor, for the greatest comeback of all time will take place in Las Vegas for International Fight Week on June 29. The opponent, Michael Chandler. And the weight, Mr. Chandler? 185 pounds,” McGregor said

But since the UFC has not confirmed it, White urged fans to take anything besides an official announcement with a pinch of salt.

“Uhh, no. If and when Conor is ready to fight, you know we’ll announce it. So, McGregor will be back this year, possibly him and Chandler. We’ll see how this whole thing plays out,” White stated

White Says McGregor's Return Still Not Official
Instagram thenotoriousmma

McGregor’s Future

This raises serious question marks over where McGregor goes next. If the fighter cannot make a UFC return, he must decide how long he wants to wait. The Notorious is 35 years old and is not getting any younger. McGregor also suffered a career-threatening injury. It remains to be seen if he can return to his best following the broken leg.

The sport has moved on since he has been out of the spotlight for so long. Sean O’Malley has been getting comparisons to being the new McGregor. Without a return, McGregor could consider doing another crossover boxing bout.

His sole performance came against Floyd Mayweather Jr., but given his name, the Irishman could secure another bout. Saudi Arabia has expressed a wish to see McGregor fight in the Kingdom, showing he still has opportunities left. Francis Ngannou has managed to secure fights with Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua. Given McGregor is a high-profile fighter, there is a chance for him to do the same.

McGregor In Saudi

“I talked to my sister Caroline here and she’s close friends with McGregor and myself. We are ready to have a fight with him [here]. We try maybe, and we will announce it and do something big [in the future]. I ask the UFC if there’s a chance to have McGregor in this card. Or, in the future card. I want to tell you something. There is two things I’m focusing in, [MMA] and the situation in boxing,” Turki Alalshikh stated 

Either way, McGregor must remain as active as possible for his career. There is no getting away from that. Find all the latest boxing news and MMA breaking updates on boxingnews.com.

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING boxingnews.COM

TAGS
COMMENTS

RELATED NEWS