McGregor’s First USADA Sample, White On Oliveira’s Future

November 15, 2023
4 months

In the latest MMA news, Conor McGregor has given USADA his first sample after the organization updated their records to reflect that.

The news has been in the offing for a while, with reports that McGregor was planning a return to the cage. The initial expectation had been a return in 2023 in order to take on Michael Chandler.

The pair had developed quite a rivalry on the TUF 31 series, as a fight appeared likely. However, McGregor’s failure to enrol in USADA, as per their deadlines, prevented the bout from happening this year.

Under the current rules, MMA fighters must provide two negative samples over a six-month period before they can compete. And there was a perception from USADA that this may have been an issue.

McGregor’s USADA Sample

“We have been clear and firm with the UFC that there should be no exception given by the UFC for McGregor to fight until he has returned two negative tests and been in the pool for at least six months. Despite a positive and productive meeting about a contract renewal in May 2023, the UFC did an about-face and informed USADA on Monday, October 9, that it was going in a different direction.
“We are disappointed for UFC athletes, who are independent contractors who rely on our independent, gold-standard global program to protect their rights to a clean, safe, and fair Octagon. The UFC’s move imperils the immense progress made within the sport under USADA’s leadership.

“The relationship between USADA and UFC became untenable given the statements made by UFC leaders and others questioning USADA’s principled stance that McGregor not be allowed to fight without being in the testing pool for at least six months,” USADA said

Although USADA are parting ways with the UFC by the end of the year, it appears that McGregor has now complied with his obligations.

Aaron Bronster, the MMA reporter, confirmed the news via his social media below. As such, it appears that McGregor has given three samples during one sitting.

White On Oliveira’s Future

Outside of that, Dana White has opened up on Charles Oliveira’s next steps following his recent withdrawal from UFC 294.

Oliveira was on course to face Islam Makhachev for the lightweight title only to pull out as a result on an injury sustained during sparring.

Several cuts under the eye required extensive stitching, which could not be resolved in time, as the turnaround period was not long enough.

Thereafter, Alexander Volkanovski moved up from featherweight to take the bout on short notice in what was a rematch. The Australian would end up being stopped in the first round, as the lack of preparation cleary told in the fight.

In the aftermath, there were calls on Justin Gaethje and Oliveira to face each other in a title eliminator for the right to face Makhachev. But moving forward, White was clear that Oliveira’s next steps were entirely dependent on the seriousness of the injury.

“That’s all going to be determined by his cut. It was a pretty nasty cut. It was pretty deep. The thing that’s really good about it is he went to a plastic surgeon, so they sewed it up from the inside out, and hopefully that’s going to help it heal faster and heal properly,” White stated

Find all the latest boxing news and MMA breaking updates on boxingblitz.

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING boxingnews.COM

TAGS
COMMENTS

RELATED NEWS