WBO may order Dubois-Itauma despite Wardley rematch clause
Daniel Dubois could be forced to defend his WBO heavyweight title against Moses Itauma rather than grant Fabio Wardley a rematch.
Wardley triggered his rematch clause days after Dubois stopped him in the 11th round at Co-op Live Arena in Manchester earlier this month. But WBO President Gustavo Olivieri told The Ring that the sanctioning body may order Dubois to face top-ranked mandatory challenger Itauma instead. "Bear in mind that rematches are not binding to the WBO," Olivieri said. "Itauma is the mandatory. We will see how it plays out."
Itauma set for August return before potential Dubois clash
Itauma, 21, knocked out Dillian Whyte in one round last August and stopped Jermaine Franklin in five rounds in March. The Kent native is scheduled to fight on August 8, with Filip Hrgovic mooted as a potential opponent, according to promoter Frank Warren. If the WBO allows the Wardley rematch and Wardley wins, Itauma could be left without a title shot.
Wardley has said repeatedly that a fight with Itauma is an "impossibility" because both men train under Ben Davison. Dubois is 23-3 with 22 knockouts. Itauma is 14-0 with 12 stoppages.
Source: ringmagazine.com
Related Fighters & Stats
Get Ringside Updates
Fight announcements, results, and analysis delivered to your inbox. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
