Usyk questions brain health after Dubois-Wardley slugfest
Oleksandr Usyk has raised concerns about the brain health of Daniel Dubois and Fabio Wardley following their brutal heavyweight slugfest in Manchester earlier this month.
Dubois stopped Wardley in the 11th round on May 9 to claim the WBO heavyweight title in a fight widely praised as one of the best heavyweight bouts in recent years. But Usyk, who holds two wins over Dubois and currently carries the WBC, IBF and WBO straps, was not impressed with what he saw.
Usyk criticizes Wardley's one-dimensional attack
Speaking ahead of his exhibition bout against kickboxer Rico Vernhoeven in Egypt this weekend, the unbeaten Ukrainian questioned Wardley's refusal to use his jab. "Fabio, where is the jab? Fabio, where?" Usyk said, per BoxingScene. "Never jabbed. Maybe once. Only right hand, only right hand, it's not working."
Usyk described the contest as a "street fight" and warned of long-term consequences. "Very strong chin but I think it's a street fight," he said. "It's a problem for both guys, brain and health."
Dubois, who dropped Wardley twice early before weathering a sustained assault to stop him late, has emerged as Usyk's closest rival in the heavyweight division. The pair fought twice previously, with Usyk stopping Dubois in nine rounds in 2023 and five rounds in their rematch two years later. A third meeting now appears likely given Dubois' WBO strap and momentum from the Wardley win.
Source: boxingscene.com
Related Fighters & Stats
Get Ringside Updates
Fight announcements, results, and analysis delivered to your inbox. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

