Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua still unsigned as blame game continues
Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua remain unsigned for their long-promised heavyweight clash, despite Saturday's ringside confrontation at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Fury stopped Arslanbek Makhmudov in his comeback fight and leaned over the ropes to call Joshua out, but his British rival refused to step into the ring.
According to the BBC, Fury's camp claims they have signed the contract while Joshua has not, extending a saga that has now dragged on for more than a decade. Netflix announced the bout for autumn in the UK on social media immediately after Saturday's fight, but Frank Warren shot that down within hours. Saudi Arabia's Turki Alalshikh had been speaking as if the announcement was imminent, adding to the confusion.
Fury issues ultimatum after Joshua no-show
Backstage after his win, Fury took aim at Joshua for staying ringside rather than engaging in the callout. "He didn't want the smoke," Fury said. "If it was me, I'd have jumped in the ring. Ten years in the making and still there's uncertainty if it's going to happen next." The former champion added that if Joshua is not his next opponent, he will walk away from boxing entirely. "If it isn't AJ next, I'm not interested in boxing again. It's either him or I'm gone," he told reporters.
Joshua has spent 18 months away from elite-level opposition, with his only fight since late 2024 coming against Jake Paul. There is also the matter of a December car accident that killed two of Joshua's close friends, a trauma he referenced when asked about the Fury fight. "I was in a serious incident maybe four months ago," Joshua said, per the BBC. Some believe an interim fight would allow Joshua to regain his rhythm before stepping into a fight that will carry suffocating attention.
The Netflix platform that broadcast Fury's comeback has 325 million global subscribers, and the Makhmudov fight may prove to be one of the most-watched boxing events in years in the UK. Viewing figures have not yet been released. Croke Park in Dublin, with its 80,000-plus capacity, has emerged as a leading venue option if the two sides can finally reach terms.
Source: bbc.com
Related Fighters & Stats
Get Ringside Updates
Fight announcements, results, and analysis delivered to your inbox. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

