Tom Aspinall's Return Delayed Further
Tom Aspinall, the UFC heavyweight champion, has confirmed that his most recent eye scan delivered news he was not expecting.
Rather than clearance to return to contact training, he has been told to wait another couple of months before the next assessment: "I've just had my recent scan. I thought it was going to get cleared actually to spar and fight straight away but they actually said they've given me another couple of months so I'm just waiting," Aspinall said
The injury occurred at UFC 321 last October during Aspinall's first title defence as undisputed heavyweight champion. Ciryl Gane's fingers made direct contact with both of Aspinall's eyes during the opening round, leaving him temporarily blinded and forcing the referee to stop the contest.
The result was ruled a no contest, and Aspinall was subsequently diagnosed with bilateral traumatic Brown's syndrome — a condition affecting the movement of the eye — before undergoing surgery in February.
His previous update had been cautiously positive, with Aspinall indicating that clearance for full contact training was approaching. The latest scan has revised that timeline, and the delay adds further uncertainty to a heavyweight division that has been operating without its undisputed champion for the better part of eight months.
The practical consequences extend beyond Aspinall personally. Gane has moved on to fight Alex Pereira for the interim heavyweight title at UFC Freedom 250 on June 14 — a contest that exists partly because Aspinall's absence created a vacancy that needed filling. Whoever emerges from that fight as interim champion will be waiting on Aspinall's recovery before a unification bout can be scheduled.
Related Fighters & Stats
Get Ringside Updates
Fight announcements, results, and analysis delivered to your inbox. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
