Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch mired in confusion as Haney remains idle
Floyd Mayweather's rematch with Manny Pacquiao scheduled for September 19 at the Sphere in Las Vegas has descended into contractual chaos, with Mayweather suggesting the bout would be an exhibition despite Netflix announcing it as a professional fight. Per ESPN, Team Pacquiao insists both sides signed binding contracts for a sanctioned bout and that Mayweather would be "in breach" if he backs out. Mayweather commented on an Instagram post about the fight stating, "This is not true!" but has not issued a formal public statement. His proposed exhibition against Mike Tyson, first announced last September, remains unbooked with no formal date despite repeated reports of discussions.
Devin Haney's welterweight campaign has stalled after unification talks with WBA champion Rolando Romero collapsed. The 27-year-old former undisputed lightweight titleholder blamed Romero's financial demands on social media, while Romero countered that Haney simply didn't want the fight, according to ESPN. Haney has not fought this year and does not appear close to securing an opponent. A rematch with Ryan Garcia, who beat Haney last April before the result was changed to a no-contest following a positive test for a banned substance, is reportedly off the table as Garcia moves toward a summer fight with Conor Benn instead.
Lopez abandons IBF title defense for welterweight move
Teofimo Lopez Jr. posted Friday that he will skip a potential IBF title defense and jump to welterweight instead. ESPN reported that the IBF had inquired about Lopez, ranked No. 5 by the sanctioning body, fighting No. 1-ranked Lindolfo Delgado for the belt vacated by Richardson Hitchins. Lopez's decision leaves another potential Haney opponent off the board and adds to the logjam at 147 pounds.
Katie Taylor is targeting a farewell fight in Dublin before retiring, ideally at Croke Park in front of more than 80,000 fans, she said in February. The unified junior welterweight champion's most compelling option would be a trilogy with Chantelle Cameron, the only fighter to beat Taylor as a pro before Taylor won the rematch. Caroline Dubois, who recently became unified lightweight champion with a win over Terri Harper, has been floated by Most Valuable Promotions as another candidate.
Errol Spence Jr. appears close to ending his nearly three-year layoff with a fight against Tim Tszyu in early June at an Australian venue to be determined, sources told ESPN in February. Tszyu cleared the path with a lopsided decision over Denis Nurja earlier this month and said afterward, "I feel like I'm up for Errol Spence Jr. I think that would be one hell of a fight." Spence has not fought since his ninth-round TKO loss to Terence Crawford in July 2023.
Source: espn.com
Related Fighters & Stats
Get Ringside Updates
Fight announcements, results, and analysis delivered to your inbox. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.


