Fury Shoots Down Joshua After Contract Standoff
This author receives a commission through recommended links in this content. See our affiliate disclosure.
Tyson Fury has cast serious doubt on his planned November fight with Anthony Joshua, saying the bout "doesn't look like it's going to happen" after a public dispute over venue and money.
The heavyweight showdown hit a snag when Saudi organisers Sela pushed to move the fight from the United Kingdom to the United States, reportedly preferring Madison Square Garden to cater for American audiences watching on Netflix. Joshua and promoter Eddie Hearn had signed for a UK staging, but Hearn told IFL TV on Thursday that he sent Sela a list of changes required if the fight shifts to America, centered on increased compensation for Joshua due to tax implications.
🎟️ Get tickets: Buy tickets to Zuffa Boxing 11 on Ticketmaster →
Fury Criticises Joshua And Hearn On Social Media
Fury responded with a series of posts calling Joshua and Hearn "disgusting" and "money-thirsty," the BBC reported. "Same old cliche a decade later. Keep running you little cowards," Fury wrote, adding that Joshua "never had the guts to fight Tyson Fury." Hearn confirmed the addenda covered travel, accreditation, and media arrangements in addition to compensation, and said he had not heard from Sela in three or four days.
The situation has grown more complicated with the involvement of Zuffa Boxing, jointly owned by Sela and TKO Group Holdings, with Dana White among its executive leaders. Hearn said TKO and Zuffa had tried to convince Saudi officials the fight is "massive in America." Fury posted that White could "come on my side" if he wants to make the deal happen.
🎟️ Get tickets: Buy tickets to Zuffa Boxing 11 on Ticketmaster →
Hearn also said Matchroom held a separate meeting with Sela regarding money owed for previously agreed contracts, including payments for darts and snooker events, though he insisted those issues were distinct from the Joshua-Fury negotiation. The fight, if it goes ahead, would be one of the biggest in British boxing history. No date has been confirmed beyond a November target.
Source: bbc.co.uk
Related Fighters & Stats
Get Ringside Updates
Fight announcements, results, and analysis delivered to your inbox. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

