Devin Haney opponent search stalls as Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch disputedDevin Haney opponent search stalls as Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch disputed
Boxing News
Advertisement
BOXINGBoxing News

Devin Haney opponent search stalls as Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch disputed

James Wright
Senior Boxing Writer ·

Devin Haney remains without an opponent after negotiations for a welterweight unification with Rolando Romero collapsed, ESPN reports. The 27-year-old three-division champion blamed Romero's financial demands on social media, while Romero claimed Haney simply didn't want the fight. A potential rematch with Ryan Garcia appears off the table as well, with Garcia reportedly moving toward a summer bout with Conor Benn instead.

Meanwhile, confusion surrounds Floyd Mayweather's exhibition schedule and his announced professional rematch with Manny Pacquiao. The Mayweather-Mike Tyson exhibition, first discussed last September, remains unconfirmed despite multiple rumored dates. Sources close to the fight told ESPN it hasn't been outright cancelled, but no formal booking has been made.

Team Pacquiao insists pro bout is locked for September

The dispute over Mayweather's rematch with Pacquiao has grown messier. Netflix announced the fight as a professional bout scheduled for Sept. 19 at Sphere in Las Vegas, but Mayweather suggested it would be an exhibition. Team Pacquiao told ESPN in multiple conversations that both sides signed legally binding contracts and that Mayweather would be in breach if he doesn't compete. When boxing reporter Elie Seckbach posted that the fight was back on, Mayweather commented: "This is not true!"

Elsewhere, unified junior welterweight champion Katie Taylor is targeting a homecoming fight in Dublin as her farewell, ideally at Croke Park. A trilogy with Chantelle Cameron, the only fighter to beat Taylor as a pro, would carry the most narrative weight, per ESPN's James Regan.

Errol Spence Jr. appears close to ending his nearly three-year layoff. Sources told ESPN in February that Spence would face Tim Tszyu in early June at an Australian venue. Tszyu cleared the path with a decision win over Denis Nurja earlier this month and said afterward, "I feel like I'm up for Errol Spence Jr. That would be one hell of a fight."

Source: espn.com

Advertisement
Advertisement

Get Ringside Updates

Fight announcements, results, and analysis delivered to your inbox. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Send me:

Join the discussion

Comments are launching soon. We’re setting up the moderation layer first.