Shakur Stevenson Vs. Edwin De Los Santos Agreed For November 16th
The news follows the recent decision by Frank Martin to pull out when terms appeared all but agreed. Stevenson later clarified that the reason for the breakdown of the fight had been due to Martin’s insistence on wanting a 50-50 split.
And since Stevenson is a bigger name, having been a two-weight world champion compared to Martin who has yet to win a title, the fight never got made.
Shakur Stevenson and Edwin De Los Santos have agreed to a deal for a Nov. 16 fight in Las Vegas for the vacant WBC lightweight title, sources told ESPN.
The bout will headline a Top Rank Boxing on ESPN card on Thursday three days before Formula 1 debuts in Vegas.
— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) September 13, 2023
In and amongst this, De Los Santos had called out Shakur. The 23-year-old is ranked number six by the WBC. His boxing record is respectable too, which stands at 16 wins, 14 by way of knockout, with only one defeat.
“This fighter got more heart then the rest of em and truthfully speaking I believe he is a better fighter then the b***h N***a who got cold feet and pulled out.. but look u press up on me I will answer the phone call I don’t duck no smoke let’s get to it n***a,” Shakur said
The news will be a massive relief as Shakur’s potential fight with Vasiliy Lomachenko had also been ruled out. The Ukrainian made it clear that he would not be fighting this year.
Meanwhile, Devin Haney’s offer of 25 percent for a fight with Shakur was rejected by the latter. This was on the grounds that Shakur felt that his standing required a higher purse split.
But with the fight against De Los Santos, Shakur has the chance to do just that. A win would secure the WBC title and open up many more doors moving forward. And there is no getting away from that.
You can stay up-to-date with the latest happenings in the world of boxing and MMA by visiting boxingblitz right here.