Masvidal Wants To Fight McGregor – ‘I’m Too Big For That Little Leprechaun’

May 16, 2024
2 weeks
Masvidal Wants To Fight McGregor

Jorge Masvidal is open to fighting Conor McGregor in the future. 

Masvidal boxes Nate Diaz on July 6 from Anaheim, CA, since reversing his retirement. He retired after losing to Gilbert Burns at UFC 287 last year. That was his fourth loss in a row since beating Diaz in their UFC 244 clash in 2019. Masvidal won that bout after the ringside doctor stopped the fight at the end of the third round. Diaz suffered a cut over his eye, no longer making it safe to continue. Masvidal won the inaugural BMF Title.

McGregor also makes his comeback against Michael Chandler at UFC 303 on June 29. He hopes for his first win since losing to Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 in 2021. He suffered a broken leg, taking his record to three losses out of his last four UFC bouts. McGregor’s popularity is still there, with Dana White announcing that the gate for McGregor-Chandler is already over $20 million, a UFC record. If the circumstances are fighting, Masvidal wanted McGregor next. 

Masvidal On McGregor

“We can still find out. [I am] too big of a man for that little leprechaun,” Masvidal said

Elsewhere, Jose Aldo recalled his loss to Conor McGregor at UFC 194 in 2015. Aldo’s UFC record was 15-0 heading into the fight. The Brazilian was confident about steamrolling McGregor. However, the fight played out differently. Aldo threw a left hand, overextending himself as McGregor countered with a left.

He hit the canvas, ending the fight in the first round, as McGregor became the UFC Featherweight Champion in just 13 seconds. It was Aldo’s first UFC loss, which could have taken its toll. Further losses to Max Holloway (UFC 212 and UFC 218 in 2017) and Alexander Volkanovski (UFC 237 in 2019) followed. 

While Aldo never won another UFC title, he still had a successful career. He secured a big win against Marlon Vera in 2020. He also returned at UFC 301 to face Jonathan Martinez. Aldo won a unanimous decision, showing he still has the skills of a 37-year-old. While the McGregor loss is a blemish on his record, it has become an iconic moment in UFC history. Aldo had no regrets over how his career played out. 

Aldo On McGregor

“You know, it doesn’t matter who the loss is to, it could’ve been McGregor, it could’ve been anybody. Loss is a part of the game and I understand that being a champion was always in my mind no matter what happened. To be a champion of the UFC is always what I set out to do and what I worked for so losses can happen along the way. You talk about fights against Max, against Volk, those are losses that can happen but my desire to be a champion, when a loss like that happens, you go back to the gym and you say I need to work more. I need to work to be the champion that I want to be.

“You can just ride it out and leave the game early and you just stay with that bitter taste, just the bitter part of history in there but then, you build the story off of it and if you can come back and if you actually stay in this game for long and if you continue to work, you will enjoy the laurels of you work and actually being a champion and that’s what I wanted. No matter what the opponent was, and I said it could’ve been McGregor, it was hit time to do it at that time and it can be, but I had the chance to back and I said to myself after a loss like this, I have to work more, I have to work harder and I want to be a champion just like I’ve always set out to do,” Aldo stated

Comments

Find all the latest boxing news and MMA breaking updates on boxingnews.com

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING boxingnews.COM

TAGS
COMMENTS

RELATED NEWS