Conor McGregor Says There Are No Talks Over His UFC Return – ‘It’s Odd, It’s Weird’

March 19, 2024
4 weeks
Conor McGregor Says There Are No Talks Over His UFC Return - 'It’s Odd, It's Weird'

Conor McGregor has admitted that there has been no talks over his UFC return.

The Notorious is still searching for his first fight since 2021, when he lost to Dustin Poirier at UFC 264. A broken leg kept him out, but now the Irishman is desperate to return. He announced his return against Michael Chandler, saying a fight was set for June 29. The CEO of the UFC, Dana White, rejected those claims.

White stated he wanted to see McGregor go through a full training camp while also saying that McGregor’s delay was due to his lack of need for money. Since then, McGregor has been promoting his film Road House. The film airs on March 21 via Amazon Prime Video. But with the film almost out, McGregor has been left to wonder if he will make a return.

McGregor On His Return

“I hope we get some clarity with a date and we can push towards it. That would be great for me, June 29th and then the Sphere And then what? Then what happens then? I don’t know. And I wonder do they know? There’s been no talk about anything.

“So I wonder what next. Obviously I got the Diaz trilogy, that is what I said for The Sphere, there was cold water put on (fighting Diaz at the Sphere) publicly off the bat, and I wasn’t happy with that. So, I need discussion or conversation, because if I lose interest, and I’m not getting anything back, I just drift off, my man. So I hope I can get something in,” McGregor said 

McGregor’s Coach

Those comments are understandable since McGregor has two fights left on his UFC contract. The failure to get him out leaves him inactive, harming his career now that he is 35. After such a career-threatening injury, there is no guarantee that he will be the same if he continues to be out of the Octagon. McGregor’s coach, John Kavanagh, has also been left bemused over why the Irishman has not returned.

There is a perception that the UFC is keeping McGregor waiting to utilize him at a time that they see fit. Since he only has two fights left, there is no guarantee that he will sign another contract. That would leave McGregor free to pursue other opportunities in boxing or acting. He has spoken about wanting to fight Manny Pacquiao, Jake Paul, Logan Paul, and KSI. But the uncertainty over McGregor’s next move has left fans wondering what is next.

“I won’t pretend to know the politics and what’s going on with legal stuff in the background. All I know is it seems odd that we’re not getting [any news]. Like I said, I really am speaking from a position of ignorance because I actually try to purposefully avoid all of that. [McGregor’s manager] Audie [Attar] and the team, they do all that, they go back and forth with Hunter [Campbell] and the UFC team. But yeah, it’s weird to me for someone to be the star he is and not get more opportunities,” Kavanagh said 

Comments

Find all the latest boxing news and MMA breaking updates on boxingnews.com

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING boxingnews.COM

TAGS
COMMENTS

RELATED NEWS