Canelo ‘Ducked’ Benavidez After He Agreed To Take $5 Million For The Fight

February 24, 2024
3 months
Canelo 'Ducked' Benavidez After He Agreed To Take $5 Million For The Fight

David Benavidez agreed to Canelo Alvarez’s terms before the Undisputed Super Middleweight Champion of the world walked away from a deal.

That is according to Benavidez’s father, Jose Benavidez Sr. The two boxers have been linked with a fight on Cinco de Mayo Weekend or Mexican Independence Day. This would define the best super middleweight of this era.

So far, the fight looks unlikely to happen, given that both camps are at odds. Benavidez’s promoter, Sampson Lewkowicz, initially stated an offer had been made to Canelo, which would give him a $55 million guarantee to make the fight. Although that may have been the case, Canelo’s trainer, Eddy Reynoso, denied this, stating no such offer was made.

Reynoso Reacts

“The reality is that none of the big promoters, not Al Haymon from Premiere Boxing Champions, not Eddie Hearn from Matchroom, not Bob Arum from Top Rank and not even Oscar De La Hoya from Golden Boy have given me an offer to fight Benavidez…..and certainly not Terence Crawford. The fight with Benavidez may take time or may never happen, but it depends on many things…We just wait for the conditions to be met,” Eddy Reynoso revealed 

At the same time, the WBC confirmed that Benavidez would be willing to move up to 175 pounds to fight for the WBC interim title at light heavyweight against Oleksandr Gvozdyk. A victory would then make him mandatory for the winner of Dmitry Bivol vs Artur Beterbiev for all the belts at 175. But now Benavidez Sr. has stated Canelo wanted his son to take the minimum of $5 million. Benavidez had agreed to those terms, only for Canelo’s camp to go silent as the fight was not made.

Benavidez Reacts

“I got a call from Sampson [Lewkowicz], and he said the camp for Canelo Alvarez wanted to take the fight [with David Benavidez], but the only way they would take the fight is if we would take the minimum, and I said. I said, ‘Sure, no problem.

“We just want the opportunity to fight. Either way, if we get to this fight, things are going to get better anyway. It doesn’t matter if we lose or win. We’re willing to take the opportunity. We said yes to it, and then Munguia and Canelo disappeared,” Benavidez Sr. said

Benavidez Took $5 Million

If the Benavidez fight does not happen, it will damage Canelo’s legacy. The four-division champion will be accused of ducking the biggest threat to his title, and Benavidez cannot be expected to continue making 168 pounds for too long. He is already bigger than the weight class, putting pressure on Canelo to take the fight before it is too late.

But given that Benavidez is looking to become mandatory at 175, he will have covered both bases, allowing him to fight for undisputed in two divisions. If Canelo continues to choose fighters who are not 168-pounders, such as Terence Crawford and Jermall Charlo, who have been linked with facing him, the boxer’s brand may suffer. But in the meantime, Benavidez’s team is looking to maximise their opportunities.

“We were willing to take the minimum. David right now makes more money fighting other people than fighting Canelo Alvarez. I think everybody starts at 5.5 [million as a Canelo opponent], and plus they give PPV buys and all that. I wanted him [Canelo] to take all the money he could. He deserves it. He’s the face of boxing and the best at 168. He has all the belts, and he deserves to take everything. “We just wanted the opportunity to step in there and give the fans what they want. A good fight,” Benavidez Sr. added 

Find all the latest boxing news and MMA breaking updates on boxingnews.com

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING boxingnews.COM

TAGS
COMMENTS

RELATED NEWS